- You may change general settings by choosing "customize".
- The colour drop on the left side of the search field allows you to apply your favourite colour to MetaGer.
- Add MetaGer to your browsers search engines by clicking the "Add the MetaGer Plugin" button just below the search field.
Select a search focus / using the "customize" button
The following searches and web pages are just examples. Replace them by your own in practice.
If you want to exclude words within the search result, you have to put a "-" in front of that word
- Example: You are looking for a new car, but no BMW. Then your search should be new car -bmw
Searching for more than one word
Without quotation you will get results containing one or some of the words of your search entry. Use quotes for the search for exact phrases, citations....
Example: search for Shakespears
- Please use quotes to make sure to get your search words in the results list.
- Put words or phrases in quotation marks to search for exact combinations.
Upper case vs. lower case
Upper case will not be distinguished from lower case
- Searching for ShakespeareorSHAKESPEAREwill deliver the same results asshakespeare
Restrict to specific domain(s) / exclude domain(s)
Type site:your-domain-here.uk to restrict the search to that domain.
- Example: I want to restrict my search to en.wikipedia.org. Type:
my search words site:en.wikipedia.org
- Example: Restriction to wikipedia but all languages:
Type: my search words site:wikipedia.org
Exclude a specific domain: Either the exclusion of a subdomain or of a top level domain. Type my search words -site:en.wikipedia.org or my search words -site:*.wikipedia.org
- Example: You do not want to get results from Wikipedia. There are two possibilities:
- Exclude results from the english Wikipedia (domain) so en.wikipedia.org
my search words -site:en.wikipedia.orgYou get results from e.g. de.wikipedia.org further on.
- Exclude all results of all wikipedia domains:
my search words -site:*.wikipedia.org
Additionally there is the option to exclude hosts or domains on the result page: All of the results have the small triangle sign:
Click for the menu shown below:
- To start a new search with just the domain of the result (de.wikipedia.de)
- To start a search without the results of that subdomain (de.wikipedia.de)
- To start a search without results of the top level domain (wikipedia.de)
Probieren Sie es doch gleich einmal aus, indem Sie die Optionen anklicken.
Tools-free of charge
You can use MetaGer within an app, too. To do so just download the MetaGer App on your Android smartphone.
There is a MetaGer Plugin for most of the common web browsers. The plugin provides easy search from the web browsers search field. Find out more: MetaGer Plugin.
Finding connotations to searchwords
Ask the MetaGer-Web-Assoziator (Tools / Associator) to find connotations in a subject area. The service doesn't append upon any language because it uses webdocuments as a source. Therefore, you find any connotations to your used language and vice-versa.
Example: you want to know more about "tick bites" and its dangers but you forgot the technical terms around this issue. The "Assoziator" presents "Borreliose" and "fsme" among others.
Please let us know if something unsuitable appears. Please use our contact form.
Provide full MetaGer functionality to your own website! Just select Tools / widget on our startpage, decide whether you want a powerful websearch or a sitesearch -which may be useful on your own pages. Enter the domainname and let the script do the rest. Questions to: contact form
Click: "Tools / URL-shortener": Imagine your nice website "http://www.all-lawn-tennis-clubs-strawberry-sales-price-check.co.uk". Just shorten it to "metager.to/check-all" or anything you like. MetaGer and Yourls then provide the redirection.
=> All our services are cost free. You do not pay with your data.
Cookies, Session-IDs, IP addresses
We don't store or work with any personal information. We provide further privacy security services as follows:
For more details see "Tools" above.
Tor Hidden Service
MetaGer provides the highest reachable security level for your privacy (anonymised IP addresses, servers under german privacy protection law). For further security needs or fear of compromised servers you may use the MetaGer-Tor branch. Please download the specialized webbrowser from https://www.torproject.org/. You will find help there, too.
MetaGer Tor address: http://b7cxf4dkdsko6ah2.onion/tor/
MetaGer proxy server
Looking at the MetaGer result page, you will find a link "open anonymously" marked by a small lock at the right of every single result. Use this link to hide behind the MetaGer proxy server. The provided protection is limited to the website you reached from our result page. Protection persists while you see https://proxy.suma-ev.de/?url=...in your webbrowser‘s address field.
I see a in some spots. What is it?
You gain more information on the specific theme by clicking it (e.g. weather data or something).
MetaGer provides a map function: On a result page you see a new focus on the upper right, called "maps.MetaGer.de". You receive a map according to your search by click (only Germany for the moment). Use the "customize" page for toggling maps function "show/hide", you will get a durably embedded small map on the result page, then.
After loading the map shows POIs according to the MetaGer results. You see them in the right column too. Mouseover a POI highlights its counterpart. Click "Details" to get further information (Nominatim data base) to this POI.
The maps are rendered before (except for the last three ones) and fast available. Affect the zoom level by mouse-wheel or the "+ / -" buttons in the upper left corner of the map.